Apache - basic control and behaviour
| Related to web development, hosting, and such: (See also the webdev category)
Dynamic server stuff:
|This article/section is a stub — probably a pile of half-sorted notes, is not well-checked so may have incorrect bits. (Feel free to ignore, fix, or tell me)|
- Graceful restart
- idea: minimize downtime while reloading config and re-opening log files
- first does a configtest - doesn't restart if that fails(verify)
- then does , which sends SIGUSR1
- advises children to stop after their current requests; each is replaced as soon as they stop (verify).
- It's possible for there to be a short time in which no new connections are served
- things that are not strictly apache children (dynamic scripting and such) may stall for relatively long (consider e.g. keepalive)
- basic/hard restart
- first does a configtest
- does , which sends SIGHUP
For example, some interpret as graceful restart, others as a hard restart.
Not all startup/init scripts are set up the same way.