Soy sauce is a fermented sauce made from soy beans, used as a condiment, or to add overall flavour while cooking.
There are many sauces based on soy. Among them:
- Kecap manis - sweet and usually thick
- (the Indonesian 'Kental' means strong (...taste) or thick, so mainly indicates whether the kecap is syrupy or not - often sweet but not necessarily)
- Kecap asin - salty, still sweetish compared to some others
- (Chinese) 'Dark soy sauce' is primarily salty
- (Chinese) 'Light soy sauce' (?)
- Japanese soy sauce (what is generally known as that, say, Kikkoman) is generally salt and sour