Explaining network connections you see frequenty
|This article/section is a stub — probably a pile of half-sorted notes, is not well-checked so may have incorrect bits. (Feel free to ignore, fix, or tell me)|
Largish downloads from it are likely to be one of:
- Windows Update (updates can be quite noticable traffic)
- video streaming (from e.g. BBC or Apple)
- or some site that uses it for CDN purposes (e.g. amazon, ebay, other).
Something like 184.108.40.206-static.reverse.softlayer.com
Softlayer is a CDN that various other sites use.
Things that use softlayer:
- Dropbox, for infrastructure.
- Youtube videos
- Google Earth content
- Firefox "safe browsing", which checks with google (and is enabled by default)
- Google updater (may have installed with some google product), and updates for things like chrome
- google mail
- Google talk(verify)